Friday, September 9, 2011

conversations with my dad


[To preface-- earlier this week I was talking with my dad on the phone and he was giving me an update on the dog. As always. He told me that she was recently diagnosed with a bladder infection. This causes her to stop and squat about every couple of seconds on their four mile walk, but nothing comes out. She's receiving meds and is on the mend, but it's a long process.]

DAD
I'm worried about her self-esteem,

ME
Why?

DAD
Well, I mean it's very frustrating when she stops every four seconds! It puts a crimp in our time. And she makes eye contact with me the whole time she's doing it.

ME
Yeah, she tends to do that.

DAD
And then I yell, "YOU DON'T HAVE ANY PEE LEFT IN THERE!" I don't think she understands me. But then sometimes she poops and I have to say, "Oh, wait, sorry, my mistake."

ME
You apologize to the dog?

DAD
Well, yeah, I don't want her to have some kind of Freudian complex and think it's not okay for her to poop. That could be damaging.



...If any of you were curious as to where my personality comes from, maybe now you know.

4 comments:

  1. haha, dad's are the best. and Dogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. oh my lord. i just cracked up in the cafe i so desperately steal wi-fi from. this made my whole night. totes brills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SELF ESTEEM IS VERY IMPORTANT. If your dog has low self-esteem it might start writing sad poetry and dating boys who aren't good enough for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, do you read Hyperbole and a Half? Because this reminded me of that.

    Shopping and Spreadsheets

    ReplyDelete