Wednesday, March 2, 2011

uniforms




shoes- etsy
tights- we love colors
dress- urban outfitters
belt- forever 21

I will forever have a soft spot for outfits like this one. During my senior year of college, when I finally got comfortable enough in my own skin to throw off the uniform that my Western New York SUNY school had imposed upon me (One of my friends got legitimately angry with me the first time I brought a pair of skinny jeans home), this dress, thick belts, and black tights were the first things I bought. I have this dress in two colors, and even though I've since graduated to skinny belts, I will always love the snug elasticity of these big, chunky belts. And you guys know how much I love tights.

I shortly gradated from this uniform to black tights with denim cutoffs, my cheapie black Target boots, and whatever I could find to throw on top, but this dress-belt-tights uniform will always feel comfortable to me. I can jazz it up anyway I want, mix in new colors, make it monochrome if I want to, make it classy or make it casual. Even if Boyf does think the dress is a little too boob-tastic for general company.

I guess my above-stated uniforms kind of show what I like when it comes to fashion. I still gravitate towards neutrals, but I do like color as accents. I'm obsessed with denim. I like pockets. I love shoes, especially flat ones. I like emphasizing my waist and you're more likely to see me wearing solids or interesting textures over crazy patterns and prints.

What about you guys? Do you have a "uniform", or something you feel most comfortable in? Do you think these items provide any particular insight into your personal fashion?

7 comments:

  1. Haha, I'm glad this dress isn't too boob-tastic for the blog, because I think it looks great! I really love the dress+belt+tights+flats combo, it's so easy and comfortable!

    Shopping and Spreadsheets

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally my go to uniform too! And I am IN LOVVVVEEEE with your shoes! They are pretty fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dress is so perfect and figure flattering! definitely not overly boob-tastic! :P

    my current uniform is a loose fitted vneck under a grey hoodie paired with jeans and wedges. Winter is the hardest season for me to get creative with. I can't wait for spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure do but my uniform isn't nearly as cute. In fact I'm taking a day off from blogging because I've had a cold for 5 days and putting on anything other than my boyfriend sweater, faded jeans and converse just wasn't an option. Oh and I haven't washed my hair in four days (not a typo, I'm that gross).

    To try and balance my general nastiness I wore some big earrings and a pretty scarf. I don't think I'm fooling anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are SO super cute ALL the time!! I love the belt with the dress and I think you're showing the perfect amount of fun & flirty cleavage without being slutty!

    My "uniform" would probably be a screen print tee, jeans, and a cardi. I'm boring. Actually, I guess I'm not boring compared to what I see most people wearing every day. It's just boring in general when compared to cute outfits I see on fashion blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this look, and that dress is so flattering and looks so comfortable - perfect combo. I must also tell you that I am insanely jealous of your oxfords - i need a pair. I keep looking but cannot find one. As with the mustard yellow cardigan, the oxfords continue to elude me.

    I was going to write my "uniform" but you probably already know what it is ...coughblackgreywhitecoughtinysplashofcolourcoughcough

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm. Western NY SUNY, eh? My brother went to one of those, too...
    You are looking like a little hottie in this uniform.
    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete