Thursday, March 10, 2011

it's a new dawn, it's a new day


oxfords- etsy
skirt- old navy via goodwill
top- jc penney's
tights- walmart
cardigan- old navy

1) I need to do something with my hair. Once I get my bangs trimmed up, the disaster that caused my one-picture-post will be somewhat cleared up, but I can't decide whether to let it grow out, or go short again. I wish I had straight hair so I could have a short little bob. Boo-urns.

2) My mother always says that I don't need to shop like I say I do. And she's right. But, really? I desperately need some new work tops. Thrift stores are good for everything else, and I have plenty of skirts and dresses, but tops are hard for me because of my chest. (Gaping buttons, etc.) And I need some. Any tips, ladies?

3) My new job is the best! Granted, I'm still training and a little overwhelmed right now, but everyone keeps welcoming me and they're so friendly. I talked to the IT guy at the corporate office today and he told me about the great company discounts we get on Dell products (I'm an Apple girl all the way, but it was still nice of him to tell me) and joked around and it was great. Yesterday, the power went out for about an hour and everyone went to go round up candles so we could see. And they put me in the system so I can answer emails and phones. And they got me a computer for my very own! And we have a jeans day tomorrow and I don't have to wear heels. Hah.

4) Isn't it funny how environment effects what you wear? At my old job, it was all about being sleek and vaguely sexy. At my new job, almost everyone is middle-aged and they dress...comfortably. I've been living in cardigans, roomy skirts, and flats. Now I just need to find a way to chic it up. I could have brightened up this cream-tan-brown-navy neutrals-fest with a bright necklace, but decided against it. Am I sartorially lazy, or just adapting to my environment?

8 comments:

  1. Go for the vests over button up look. I don't know what I would do without my vests and New York and Company has awesome ones!
    http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/browse/productDetailWithPicker.jsp?productId=prod3430342&categoryId=cat2580037&FLCat=cat840014&productId=prod3430342&categoryId=cat2580037&addFacet=1002%3Acat2580037

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad new job is going well for you!

    And I totally feel you on the lazy. I looked at my all black/grey outfit today and was like, "eh, oh well."

    When I come visit, we'll go shopping and buy lots of colorful tops. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like wearing tee with a crew neckline and dressing them up with a necklace and a cardigan and something a belt. Also, with the button ups, sometimes I sew a snap where the buttons meet the button holes to keep the boob section shut nice and tight, sooo usually one in between the third and fourth button and one between fourth and fifth. sometimes im lazy and use a safety pin instead.

    Also, big fan of this outfit. jealous of the oxfords. love how the belt matched the oxfords.

    AND I am so happy for you and your new joB! I hope you will be very happy together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's fun to try to adapt to new dress codes. It's always interesting for me to see how different people dress in different offices despite having been in the same industry for a couple of years.

    It's great to hear you're loving your new job and can show up in such cute, comfy clothes! I love the belted cardigan look you have going. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elle I hate to break it to you but you could work in a turd factory and start adapting your style to that and still look adorable. Maybe not smell so hot, but we'd never know it.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey monkeyface has a point.
    you're hot stuff.
    i have naturally curly hair and straighten (almost) every day.
    you could totally rock a bob.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're liking the new job so far! It is interesting how the environment determines a lot of your fashion choices. I love consignment shops for work tops. You can score them at the thrift too but I usually have more luck at higher end places. Plato's can have some good stuff too - but more geared towards a younger, more casual crowd. Ann Taylor Loft is also AMAZING! Check out their clearance section. Regularly. Case in point: http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/category_sale.jsp?viewAll=true&Ns=PV_PRICE&categoryId=3364&Nr=AND%28CAT_SALE_FLAG:Y%29&loc=slp1a&N=1200042.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAYYY for new job! and you look ADORBBBBBBBZ as always.

    What, jean day you don't need to wear heels and a blazer and a silk scarf?!!!

    ReplyDelete