Wednesday, December 15, 2010

worst blogger ever.

Oof.  Hi, guys.  I'm just going to cut right to the chase: I don't have any pictures today.  Not even one.  What's that, you say?  You were gone for four days and you didn't even take one outfit shot?  Yes, my friends, that is correct.  That is because I seriously underestimated The Weather.  

You see, I grew up (and still live) downstate in New York.  I went to school in Western New York.  Though everyone warned me when I left for college that I was soon to be facing the most harrowing winters of my life, I generally found the weather in Western New York to be no better or worse than the weather in my hometown.  The Boyf also lives in Western New York, albeit in a different town.  I'd been there to visit many times in all kinds of weather and so I thought that I knew what I was getting into.  I thought that layering two pairs of tights under my cutoffs would be more than sufficient.  I thought that I had what it took to be stylish and still warm.

WRONG.  Apparently I have never really experienced a winter in Boyf's hometown (okay, I'll just tell you now.  It's Buffalo.  Buffalo, NY.  The place from the Weather Channel.  The place with all the lake-effect snow.  Yeah.  That Buffalo, NY.) until now, because I did not stop being cold once the entire time I was there, whereas Boyf was fine and kept saying, "Why are you shaking like that?  Are you really still  cold?  But it's so warm out!  Wait, why are your lips blue?  Is that some kind of makeup?" etc.  Guys, I was a cocky SOB.  Buffalo really showed me who was boss.  Wearing ballet flats during a snowstorm?   Yeah, you will fall on your ass.  Wearing two pairs of tights when it is 15 degrees?  Yeah, that does not mean squat.  Basically, I spent the weekend cocooned in blankets and wearing jeans and snow boots.  Not even a little bit cute.

And this is a problem.  Because I am moving there.  (!) In the beginning of January. (!!)  Boyf and I are getting an apartment with two of our friends (!!!) and I'm trying to find a job and furniture and I'm kind of really excited.  (!!!!) But it's going to be cold.  I'm going to be living in my winter coat.  And while it is a very nice coat, that might get a little boring.

So here's the thing: I'm still going to take outfit pictures.  I promise.  But that just means that I have a new wardrobe challenge.  I vow to find a way to be stylish and warm.  I will find a way to incorporate my LL Bean duck boots into cute outfits.  I will find a way to still be able to wear my beloved black tights this winter.  (Coincidentally?  Bloggers who say that they think wearing tights in the snow is warmer than wearing jeans...Seriously?  What do you know that I don't?)  This blog is going to become a Winter Vs. Elle Smackdown and you are all invited to watch.  I also might post obnoxious things about thrifting and apartment decorating and the reallllly super adorable place we went to look at on Monday.  

Bear with me.  You are all the greatest.  Also, any tips of surviving a frozen tundra land?  Most welcome :)

7 comments:

  1. You are too precious! Thank you for the sweet comment...I may be making one (some) for myself to keep. So that I don't lose control and go unwrap those that are sitting under my Christmas tree. I certainly wish you the very best with your arctic venture! I am in Florida and I have basically refused to set foot outside for the past two days because the temperature has dropped below 30 in the mornings, 40 the rest of the day. I am weak. Thin blood. Whatever you want to call it, I couldn't survive up North. You strut that big ole jacket with three sweaters and a scarf underneath and don't worry about not looking cute out doors. That's why we have indoor heating units. Style inside, function outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! My money's on Elle - Winter's in for a tough style fight.


    You can do it! I'll continue to cheer from my comparatively warm sidelines :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I'm so cold just looking at that picture. Good luck with the move! Can't wait to see pics of the new place and everything. YAYYY

    And jeans are def warmer than tights... or cords! You should get some cords if you don't already have any. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to compare before/after shots of our cute apartments :)

    and yesss I'm leaving in 2 weeks so uh, nest day asap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brrrrrr! You couldn't pay me to live in Buffalo! I'm such a wuss when it comes to cold...Which leads me to my next point...

    Ok, so remember how I blogged incessantly about my fleece lined black tights from Target and how they are the best thing that ever happened to me?

    They also make fleece lined leggings. Which I bought immediately. And wore under the skinniest of my skinny jeans. And I was so warm Elle. So warm. You should find some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off...yay for moving in with the man! Love it!
    Secondly, I am from upstate NY. But not THAT upstate. We had harsh, cold winters, but even we felt sorry for the poor saps in Buffalo :p
    That said, you will adjust and you will amaze yourself at how well things will go there. You will show the snow who is boss!

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on moving! good luck with finding a job and all that fun stuff. :)

    and i think tights are only warmer than jeans if you wear two at once. except those ones from we love colors, those are pretty darn warm.

    ReplyDelete