Wednesday, December 8, 2010

lucky

So yesterday my car was in the shop getting snow tires put on, so I took my mom's car to work.  Getting there was no problem, but on the way home I lost control of the car on a sharp turn, skidded on snow/ice, and ended up going over the side of the road and landing my mom's car in a creek.  I'm perfectly alright-- not a scratch-- but this experience has made me realize how incredibly lucky I am and how thankful I am for so many things in my life.  

For example, even though I constantly complain about my job, it's made me meet a whole town's worth of people that I wouldn't have otherwise.  The guy who came along and found me, stranded on the side of the completely dark, houseless country road, without enough cell service to even call 911 (I told you guys I lived in the boonies) just happened to be a volunteer fireman who just happened to be friends with the tow guy, who just happened to have the trooper who came to do my accident report's cell phone number in his phone.  Said trooper is one of the diner regulars who I know really well.  He calmed me down and let me warm up my feet and was nice enough to not write me a ticket for not having my license on me.  

I'm lucky I didn't hit one of the nine million trees.  I'm lucky my parents understood my frantic, breaking-up phone call enough to come find me.  I'm lucky that they aren't mad at me-- I'm more upset than they are.  I'm lucky that I live in a town so small that the hairdresser and the mechanic have called the house already today to make sure that I'm okay and that whoever told them about the accident wasn't lying to them.  

I don't know what the point of putting this out there on the interwebs was.  I'm not trying to moralize or preach or anything like that, but I will say these things:

1) Drive slow in the winter.  Grandma-status.  Please and thank you.
2) Appreciate little things.  If you want.  You don't have to, but I'm giving it my personal recommendation.  You know you know.
3) I'll post an outfit photo tomorrow so that you all know that a) I really am okay, seriously and b) I have clothes outside of my 30for30 items.  Okay.

Peace out, bean sprouts.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I'm glad you are ok. That sounds SO scary but I love that instead of being angry, you came out of it thankful. I don't know what I would do in the same situation...probably just sit down and cry.
    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg, thank goodness you're okay!! That's crazy scary.. especially with no cell reception? :(

    [hey! we're online at the same time. It's almost like we're chatting.. but not really...]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I'm so glad you're okay! What an awesome town you live in that people are so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too scary but at least the parents were understanding, that's always the worst part. Not that I'VE gotten in an accident in my parents car...okay it was my sisters and it was actually worse than the parents.

    Glad to know all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad everything's okay! that's so sweet that the hairdresser called to check in on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you're ok. Isn't it incredible to know that there are good people in the world? It makes finding out there are LOTS of good people in the world even better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my. i have been in the ditch a few times and it is so scary! glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete