Tuesday, November 30, 2010

vingt-trois et vingt-quatre

Outfit the First:


shoes- target
tights- f21
dress- alternative aparrel
scarf- urban outfitters
wristlet- coach (gift)

Okay guys.  This is the much-awaited Thanksgiving Outfit.  It was a smash hit, if I do say so myself.  I wore the dress beltless, which was a stroke of genius imparted by my brother.  "I don't think you need the belt," he said, on our way out the door, and after a third helping of cranberry sauce I realized that his intellect is far superior to mine and that he was right, as always.

The wristlet was a gift from my cousin a few Christmases ago.  I rarely use it because I'm always afraid I'm going to do something to ruin it.  The scarf was a big, big hit with my cousin's baby.  She's one, and every time I pulled her into my lap she would firmly grasp the scarf and then throw herself backwards, laughing uproariously, while I simultaneously choked and tried to grab her head to keep her from falling backwards.  She employed this adorable stunt about three different times.  I don't know why I didn't expect it by the end of the evening, but she was too cute for me not to at least attempt to cuddle.

Etta is sporting a darling blue scarf from Delia's.  She hates it, of course, but doesn't she look cute?  Dad  says that on their walk this morning, her eager offers of friendship were rudely snubbed by two farm dogs.  He insisted all morning that she was suffering from low self-esteem and asked that I periodically sing her "Hold Your Head Up" in order to cheer her.  I didn't, but I did dress her up.  Which probably is having the opposite effect towards cheering her up,  but I never thought she was sad, anyway.  (PS- I promise that the scarf is tied very, very loosely around her neck and that it is in no way restricting her abilities to breathe or swallow.) (PPS- Read this.  It's hilarious.)

Outfit the Second:




boots- modcloth
dress- alternative aparrel
vest- thrifted
hat- thrifted
socks- f21
Please ignore my really, really awkward hands.  Thank you.

This is what I am wearing around the house today.  I have a day off, it's raining, and I'm not going to do anything but watch a movie, roll coin, do some fun writing, and maybe read a book or two.  Oh, and the Boyf and I have a phone date.  I think this outfit is totally appropriate for a phone date, don't you?

I realize that this outfit is a lot of brown.  And also that the hat is shapeless.  And also that it's kind of a little much.  And also that I'm flashing some bare leg and it's almost December.  And also that I pitched a mini-fit earlier this week about being TRUTHFUL IN WHAT YOU WOULD ACTUALLY WEAR etc etc.  But?  It's a rainy day and I'm not going anywhere, so I guess this outfit is impractical and silly but actually fairly truthful.  My mama always told me not to wear a lot of brown because it washes out my skin tone.  Guess maybe I should have listened to her.

PPPS-


I visit these boots every single day.  I'm not kidding.  At least once a day, I stop by the ASOS site and gaze at them adoringly.  I check to make sure they're still available, and that the free shipping deal still applies.  As soon as the 30for30 is over, I am buying them.  Which leads me to wonder if I actually learned anything from this experience?  But then I gaze at the detail of the grommets and quality of the leather and I stop worrying about anything, anymore.

Sigh.

Do you have your eye on any paticular pieces?  Is there any one thing that is destined to be yours once you hit outfit number thirty?

7 comments:

  1. The hair! The hat! I can't pick a favorite part.

    Oh and yesterday when I was writing my post I thought (all nonchalantly), "I bet Elle will get the Office reference..." That's right, we're on a first name basis in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so, I meant to comment on your blog like...an hour and a half ago, but then I oh-so-innocently clicked on the link above, thinking, hmmm, what could it be? Surely it will only be momentarily distracting....

    And now I am covered in my own drool, still semi-convulsing with aftershocks of helpless hysterical laughter. Thanks, dude. That blog is one of the best things that has ever happened to my brain.

    Also, bats are awesome. I actually have two bat necklaces. Yep. Two.

    Also, both these outfits are now tied for first place. I think brown might actually be your color. I also think what you think of as too much is just enough. Of course, this is coming from a girl who considers turbans and pom poms acceptable head gear and thinks seven inch platforms will complete her wardrobe. So, take it with a grain of salt!

    Also, I'm tagging you with a versatile blogger award! Ahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle, you are TOO cute. Loving the thanksgiving dress! and the scarf!

    and those boots. LOVE. If they were $10 I'd buy them and send them to you in a heartbeat because I'm nice like that... but I'm also cheap... so I guess you'll have to fend for yourself :) I hope they'll still have them when your shopping ban is over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love everything about your thanksgiving outfit - the tights, the scarf, the dress - all of it!

    hyperbole & a half is phenomenal. that entry about spiders - yeah, that's so me. i hate spiders. always tears from laughter when she posts something new up there.

    that hat looks so good on you! so jealous of girls that can do hats - i've put on and taken off fedoras twice so far. only 7 days left, i need to wear one.

    i'm not really watching anything specific, but i realize i need to add a few pins/brooches to the accessory box + a few belts. those shoes are dead sexy, though. don't blame you one bit for lookin' at 'em

    ReplyDelete
  5. It worked out well that you posted both of these at the same time - it let us see how you restyled the same dress. And they look so different, both of them great. I actually had to scroll up and down to make sure they were the same dress. That's the sign of a great remix.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hyperbole and a half post was hysterical. It's seriously a good thing I'm not in a public place because I laughed so hard and that probably would have been embarrassing.

    Anyway, I love both of these outfits, I think brown is a good color on you. The tights and over the knee socks are also awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm kind of in love with your boots :D
    then you added the vest and hat and i'm just wow

    ReplyDelete