Tuesday, November 16, 2010

neuf



flats- old navy
tights- we love colors
dress- alternative apparel
belt- f21
cardigan-old navy
pearl earrings- my momma made 'em

So this outfit is very similar to the one I wore Sunday to lounge around the house.  Except that I wore it to sub today.

...Oh.  My.  God, y'all.  I am more convinced than ever that teaching is just not for me and god bless those of you who are dedicated to it.  I originally thought I was subbing for a secretary in the guidance office.  WRONG.  Instead,  I was a one-on-one aide for a special ed girl who quite frankly doesn't need a one-on-one aide, and who doesn't get along with her usual aide (aka- the lady I was replacing).  Ugh.  I just typed out  a whole paragraph of gripes and then deleted them because what is the point of filling the world with more negativity, but let's just suffice it to say that the girl ended up warming up to me quite well and that the special education program at my old high school is an incredily frustrating thing.  

So yeah.  Here's my first subbing outfit.  Even with it on, one teacher thought I was a student and I heard a girl ask her friend, "Is that a kid or what?" to which her friend replied, "I don't know.  It's wearing stockings but...they're red..."  (Also, love that I am officially an "it.")

I asked my parents, both of whom are retired teachers, if there was anything wrong with my outfit, but they both said no.  Still, next time I think I am going to have to wear my hair up and some lipcolor, or high heels or something?  And definitely plain, black tights next time.  Oh well.  You live and you learn, right?


PS- Let's not even talk about that cardigan.  I am embarrassed for myself.

PPS- The tights:  I have mixed feelings.  On one hand, they are superb, superior quality, as everyone says.  On the other, I am super disappointed with the color.  The guide on the website made these tights appear to be a simple, true red (kind of like how they look in the pictures), but in person they are quite indisputably pink!  I understand that the color guide says that the colors might not be exactly the same, but there is a big difference between red and pink, people.  

8 comments:

  1. A librarian at my old library gave me a pair of pink tights because she didn't like them after she bought them. I LOVE them! And they look great on you!

    I like wearing my belt OVER my cardigan because it'll dress us a frumpy boyfriend one really nicely. And don't be embarrassed; it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a teacher and I think you look cute! I'm actually sad I don't get mistaken for a student anymore. I miss those days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear. Where to begin...

    a) in reply to your comment, don't knock Loft! I love that line! I think I've been really lucky to have a wide variety of second hand shops to choose from...very rarely do I go to Goodwill or Salvation army, because the wierd little neighborhood thrift shops out in the boonies have much cooler stuff.

    b) Whether your tights are red or pink, they are smashing. Without them, your outfit would be chic, yes, but really, rather dull. With them, its charming and irreverent. Which do you think kids respond to better?

    c)Do not give up! Go to Amazon, look up the book "Esme: Diary of a Teacher's First Year", and have it shipped to you overnight if possible. It will change your life. Special education programs exist, for the most part, to make people who don't need them feel better, rather than to help the kids enrolled in them access a better education. You got to make one of those kids feel a little less "special" today, and she warmed up to you. Who knows what you can accomplish in a few more days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this outfit is really cute, I guess I can see how as a teacher you'd want to dress more 'mature' though. Oh well.

    Oh yeah, and to answer your question I started doing the 30 for 30 a week early. I just got excited and didn't want to wait for anyone else, :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO TO PLAIN BLACK TIGHTS WHEN YOU CAN WEAR RED ONES!!!! :D i love them. you look great!!! :D seriously, i'm not pulling your (tight-covered) leg

    ReplyDelete
  6. they do look pink but i like them still. im sorry you were mistaken for an "it" ha! and about the cardigan, i have a similar cream color one that i wear all too often. sometimes it makes me feel like an old lady. why exactly were you embarrassed by it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhhh my goodness I very loudly laughed when I read that they called you "it." "It" is looking absolutely adorable in this outfit so I wouldn't change a thing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love those tights whatever color they are. my husband is a teacher, and honestly, i don't know how he does it. it does take a certain kind of person.

    Kendra
    http://closetconfections.com

    ReplyDelete