Thursday, October 21, 2010

i defy you to look me in the eye and tell me you're a friend of mine

This is a post about music that I like.  Everyone is groaning, I know.  But I like good music.  I do!  Get over it.

Warren Zevon is awesome, and it makes me really angry that people only know him from this song:



and even angrier that most people only know him from this song. (It doesn't deserve to have its music embedded, although I guess I should say props to Kid Rock for recognizing a good thing when he hears it?)

My love for Warren Zevon is yet another example of how much cooler my dad is than me, because Dad was the one that taught me to like him. My dad has awesome taste, and Warren Zevon falls in his official I LIKE EVERYTHING THEY HAVE EVER DONE, INCLUDING ALL THE ALBUMS THAT EVERYBODY ELSE DIDN'T LIKE AND I LIKED THEM BEFORE IT WAS COOL TO DO SO category. (Oh dear god. I just realized that my dad is a hipster. Why didn't anyone tell me?!) (The aforementioned category includes, in case anyone was wondering, Warren Zevon, Frank Zappa, and Neil Young. Only those three.)

Anyway, anyone who knows me knows how much I like poetic song lyrics, and Warren Zevon just might be the king of those. Even in songs where he just sounds angry, he manages to put it in a way that no one else ever has or probably ever will. "Don't knock on my door if you don't know my rottweiler's name." Don't tell me you've ever told your ex that you fucking hate their guts in quite that way.

Warren Zevon died of cancer in 2003 and his last album, "The Wind", might possibly be the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. And also the saddest, because you can hear in his voice how hard it is for him to be singing what he is.

Anyway, here is one of my favorite songs by him. If you watch this video, it will make your brain bigger, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment